Thursday, August 18, 2005

Are you suffering from double vision?

Have you ever noticed that vision is the root word for division? According to Merriam-Webster online dictionary, the prefix di means “twice, twofold, double.” So, couldn’t we conclude that division in a church or organization stems from competing visions? This was a problem for the church at Corinth:

I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ." (I Corinthians: 10-12)

Vision harmony is a challenge for many church planters. This is especially true when a core group is developed with people from differing backgrounds and traditions. We will talk more about this tomorrow. For now, I am interested in your thoughts...

No comments: