Saturday, May 14, 2005

Multiplying Legacies

Legacy

This past week, I participated in the Origins experience in Los Angeles. While in L.A., I was able to visit my aunt who is in a nursing home. Aunt Kathy is 83 years old and knows that she will soon leave for paradise. It had been years since I had last seen her, but it didn’t take long to renew our relationship. As we talked, I remembered that Aunt Kathy and Uncle Guy gave me my first Bible less than a month before I became a Christ follower. They also encouraged my unchurched parents to connect themselves and their five children to a local church.

I realized I was standing in the presence of a woman who lived her life in obedience to Christ and that I am a product of that obedience. I introduced Aunt Kathy to Jason Dukes, a church planter that I serve. I shared with Aunt Kathy how God is working through Jason to plant a church near Orlando and how this church will be a part of starting 11 new churches in three countries during their first two years of existence. I don’t know if she realized it, but I wanted her to see that she was leaving a legacy. Indirectly, Aunt Kathy is a part of planting churches around the world. Thank you God, for Kathy Fowler and those who influenced her.

No comments: